Puppies – Did you know.
Did you know or were you aware that bitches will always look for somewhere warm and isolated before they give birth.
- A bitches temperature can fall to 36 degrees C, so don’t be surprised if she doesn’t seem herself.
- Most bitches will refuse food 24 hours before giving birth.
- Most bitches give birth lying down on their side.
Did you know.
- The puppy is born covered in a foetal membrane and the mother licks this away vigorously to help stimulate breathing.
- Although most puppies are born head first, a substantial number-estimated to be as much as 40 per cent are born breach.
Did you know.
- The mother will chew away the umbilical chord from each puppy and also eat the after birth.
- Don’t be concerned if there is a wait between each birth as some puppies may be born up to two hours after the first. if however the time between births exceeds this then ring your vet.
Did you know – more Fascinating Puppy Information
- Puppies are born with their eyes shut (yes we know that) but did you know that their ears are also shut and they have an extremely strong sense of smell so that they are able to smell their mothers milk.
- Puppies eyes open between ten and fourteen days, and they can start to focus about a week after that.
- Puppies ear canals are sealed off so they are not able to hear until after about twelve days.
- Puppies normally feed off of their mother until they are about four or five weeks old. You should introduce very sloppy food gradually. A Puppy should be weaned by about seven weeks.
- Puppies start to walk after about three weeks.
- Newborn pups are unable to control their body temperature so they are very vulnerable to cold and hypothermia-keep the whelping box warm with lots of blankets-you could use an electric blanket.
- A Puppy will start to socialize at about four weeks of age. It is at his point that the puppy will begin to play and become a member of the pack.